Royal Roads University has a coordinated CARE Team to assess, support, and refer students who are experiencing emotional distress or concerning behaviour.
How the CARE Team can help
Faculty, staff, students, if you are concerned about the overall well-being of a student, you can contact the CARE Team. Students may also self-refer.
The CARE Team provides:
- caring outreach and wellness checks
- strategies and options to support students’ wellness and academic success
- referrals to appropriate services and resources
- collaborative approach to triangulation of information/communication hub
- guidance to staff and faculty regarding responding to student concerns
The CARE Team coordinates support with dignity and respect. Our primary goals are to de-escalate a distressing situation and refer to services that can help in removing a students' barriers to success.
The CARE Team members
The CARE Team membership includes the following:
- a student counsellor
- the Student Team Coaching manager
- the Student Success manager
- the Student Engagement manager
- the Student Services director
- the Security Services supervisor
What can you share with the CARE Team?
You can share any concerns you might have about another student’s well-being or the community’s safety. The most appropriate CARE Team member will offer support.
- unusual or erratic behaviour in class (on campus or online)
- extended absence or withdrawal from learning activities by a student who is usually engaged
- written work or creative expression with concerning themes or references
- verbal or written threats made toward another student, faculty, or staff
- verbal or written expressions of suicidal ideation or self harm
- actions that are alarming or call into question the safety of the student or their peers
- basic needs insecurity (for example, food and housing)
- any report of a student who has required urgent medical assistance
Contact the CARE Team
In serious medical emergencies or imminent danger, contact 911 and Campus Security before contacting the CARE Team.
Email the CARE Team if you're concerned about the overall safety or well-being of another student or would like to speak with a member of the CARE Team.
Call Campus Security at 250.391.2525 if you need immediate support. They will contact the on-call CARE Team member and can provide First Aid support if required.
More information on health and wellness, including counselling services for students, can be found on our wellness website.
The CARE Team is guided by RRU’s Student Mental Health Framework, which identifies the value of a systemic approach to supporting student mental health. In particular, the CARE Team works to address the first two core elements of this framework: plan for healthy learning and develop a culture of care.